Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Lessons in love from Timothy John Baxter.

When I was a little girl (around 5 or 6 years old), I was absolutely enchanted by my Aunty's poodle, Timothy John Baxter. (OK, he didn't really look like the poodle in the photo. But in my head he was THAT grand.) He had his own bedroom (the laundry) with his name on the door, he drank coffee on Saturday mornings and had his hair done at the poodle parlour. Timothy John Baxter was incredible. (If you know my Poodle Theory, it is in direct relation to my love of TJB).

But, Timothy John Baxter was not enchanted with me.

The way I got around this awkward unrequited love, was by using my status as a human being to sneak up and catch him when he least expected it. Then I would hold him as he wiggled and willed to get out of my arms. Try as he might, I held him and hugged him and squeezed the life out of him with my great big love. Eventually an adult would come along and say, "Amy! Let that poor dog go! He doesn't want to be held, he wants to run free. If you let him run free, he might want to come back and cuddle you some time". And at that, I would reluctantly let him run free. Consequently, Timothy John Baxter never came near me. He would never crave my attention, because he knew my attention would literally capture him and squeeze the life out of him. Through the years, and through many lessons of using self control... eventually... with my ignorance, Timothy decided to come near to me. He even eventually sat on my lap willingly. (I hardly knew what to do with myself, I was that excited that this poodle actually enjoyed my company).

Oh, Timothy. You taught me so much more than you realized, my furry friend. Men are just like poodles. They are often hairy, adventurous, strong-willed and hate to be captured without their permission. When you let them run free and do hairy, adventurous things - they eventually decide that your company is what they crave. Even life-squeezing cuddles are OK if they are done out of good intentions.

May you Rest In Peace, up in doggy heaven, you wise old poodle. Every time I see the stars I will think of you Mufasa.... I mean... Timothy John Baxter.

2 comments: